- Tell us a bit about yourselves and what you do at Kigu:
My name’s Tom and I’m the founder and MD at Kigu
- Most people already know what kigus are but in your own words, how would you describe a kigurumi?
A kigurumi is an all in one animal costume, ideal for lounging around the house in, or partying in, whatever you like the best.
- What inspired you to start your business?
I was unemployed and find it hard to take orders from other people!
- Do you have a favourite kigu?
- You’ve recently released a range of kigoules – what was the inspiration behind these? Was it all the wet weather we’ve been having?
Festivals were the inspiration. People buy rubbish disposable ones and then they all get chucked away. We thought it would be fun to revolutionise the product, make it more fun and stop all that rubbish being taken to landfill.
- With the exception of some pop-up stalls, a lot of your sales are done online. Will you ever set up a physical store?
Probably not. What we sell is still pretty niche so I’m not sure it would be profitable.
- Are there any downsides to running your own business?
It can be a lot of pressure and you are responsible for other people, not just yourself. Also you can’t get away with Skiving. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Aside from music festivals, kigus are also popular with anime, comic and games conventions – will we ever see you guys selling your stuff there?
We’d love to. Let us know which ones to go to and we’ll be there!
- Do you have a particular event that you like to sell your products at?
We’ll be attending Secret Garden Party and a number of other festivals this year.
- You often feature customers wearing your products on your website, newsletter, etc. What’s the weirdest customer photo you’ve received?
A Great Dane dressed in a Kangaroo Kigu was pretty weird!
- If you had no limitations, what would be your dream kigurumi?
With no limitations, I’d love to do an Octopus Kigu with big purple tentacles, suckers and everything!
- You occasionally have special offers and discounts (which are great!) Will returning customers and followers see any loyalty benefits in the future?
We run promotions and competitions all the time. So follows us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/kigucrew) to keep in the loop.
- We’ve already covered the release of the kigoules – will we be expecting anymore wonderful creations from you soon?
Yes, we’re working on some amazing socks, pants and a range of more illustrated products.
- Do you have any messages for your customers and loyal followers?
Thanks you very much!
- Finally, is there anything you would like to ask any or all members of staff here at Renegade Revolution?
If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
Jojo: Some kind of big cat. Like a tiger or a lioness. I love feline predators – rawr!
Holly: Bat – because echolocation ftw!
Heather: I’d be a cat: To be pampered, snuggled, and have the excuse to sleep as and when I like! Plus, I’m pretty derpy as is, and many cats are 🙂
Christopher: I would be an armadillo. I would be.inquisitive but Also have a shell to protect myself with of things got hairy!
Amy: I would be a Porcupine – Cute, but with sharp quills at the ready just in case… 🙂
Many thanks to Tom for taking the time out for this article. We’re anticipating some fantastic new kigus and associated products from them in the future! If you would like to find out more about their products, here are some useful links:
All images used with permission from Kigu